Home Improvement

Expert Tips to Prevent Electric Fire Hazards

878 Views

Did you know overloaded power points, damaged power outlets, and general wear and tear of cabling are some of the leading causes of electric fire hazards in Australia? A recent research report indicates that 20% of electric fire hazards occur due to electrical failure and faults. Some of the common reasons such as short circuit, overcurrent, and earth faults are protected, but hidden sources of power failure such as arc faults are difficult to identify. The electrical contractors Sydney have shared a few tips here to minimise the risks of electric fire hazards.

Avoid Overloading Outlets

Overloading outlets is one of the most common causes of electric fire hazards, and it’s preventable. Extension cords aren’t a permanent solution. So, install internal circuit breakers in surge protectors to cut power if there is an electrical problem. Also, get new outlets and wiring installed by residential or commercial electrical contractors Sydney if you have too many gadgets that need plugging in at once.

Ground Fault Circuit Interrupter (GFCI)

Install GFCI outlets in the kitchen, bathrooms, and other areas near water. The GFCI outlets are exclusively designed to cut the power supply when there is moisture. This reduces electrical hazards that are caused by water leakage and more.

Don’t Keep Flammable Objects Near Electrical Outlets

The licensed electrician Sydney recommends keeping flammable objects away from electrical outlets. The ultimate reason for this is that most outlets generate heat, may cause sparks, and then leads to fire hazards. So, why take a chance? Constantly check your outlets to find out if there is any noticeable warmth or any other issues.

Unplug Devices When Not in Use

Did you know only very few people unplug their devices or appliances when they are not in use? Leaving appliances such as a toaster, space heater, small kitchen appliances, and more plugged in can cause a lot of fires. Unplugging appliances not only reduces fire hazards but also save money on electricity. Yes, even if your devices are in an ‘off’ position but plugged in, they could still consume power and adds up to your utility bills. 

Replace Old Appliances

Replace old electrical appliances with new ones because they are the worst electric fire hazard starters. Dispose of your old electrical appliances when they begin to show the following signs.

  • They have frayed electrical cords
  • Flickering
  • Sparks when turned on
  • Dissipating excessive heat

Schedule Electrical Inspection

Schedule a regular electrical inspection with a licensed electrician Sydney to identify any potential electrical issues and fix them early on. It ensures the safety of your family and protects them from any possible electrical fire hazards. Contact us for more information.

Show More

Related Articles

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Back to top button
Close